-by Tracy Stern
The great director Nan Berstein has been quoted as saying “Philly just looks different. There’s a history there that’s still apparent.” Certainly someone so well versed in capturing the look and feel of a town, it’s people and its intricacies should know. However, this is also easily apparent even to those who might consider themselves not so intuitive. Philadelphia is rich with an ambiance and history that is palpable. This, dear friends, makes it the perfect travel destination.
– Philly is a perfect blend of rich history and modern symbolism.
The history, you see, lends itself to luxury dining and accommodations. There is no shortage in Philly. Even the unseasoned traveler knows this about The City of Brotherly Love. What might, however, be more of a surprise is how well the rich, rich history has blended with the new and progressive, resulting in a surprise at every turn.
Places like PURE FARE, an innovative eatery, are offering visitors and city-dwellers clean-foods and encourage tracking and online diet education. From Lentil Loaf to Cauliflower Rice, this wonderful spot is a break from tradition, but still fits wonderfully into Philly’s innovative personality. A personality that has, in some part, been forged on the water. It is said, in fact, that you haven’t truly experienced the city until you visit the Fairmount Water Works. Here you will find my favorite spot for brunch; WATER WORKS. Famous for its Octopus and Crab Cakes, this location is steeped in history with a menu that makes you feel quite alive in the here and now.
-Philadelphia’s landmark dining experience.
I am a hostess and entertainer, so I’m always very aware of cuisine when traveling. Yet, the spas, clubs and markets of Philadelphia equally impress me. Here is my jet-set list of things to see, smell, experience and love in Philly;
- PARC – Fashionable French bistro atmosphere/Rittenhouse Square
- Le Bec-Fin – Legendary find French Dining/Rittenhouse Sqaure
- TINTO – Authentic Spanish tapas/Rittenhouse Square
- COOK – Experience open stove night/Rittenhouse
- PHILLY CUPCAKE – For the kid in you/Chestnut Street
- RITTENHOUSE TAVERN – For private dining/South 18th Street
-Find the cuisine of your dreams in the City of Brotherly Love.
– Dine in absolute French luxury in Philly.
- LUXE – The Ultimate Salon and Spa Experience/1st Street
- RITTENHOUSE FARMER’S MARKET – Certified Organic/Rittenhouse Square
- PRIVATE CLUBS – Union League (Voted the Best City Club in the Country), The Germantown Cricket Club.
- OLD CIY DISTRICT – Over 100 Boutiques/2nd Street, Market, 3rd
- HISTORIC ANTIQUE ROW – Incredible Shopping/Pine Street
-“Antiquers” find their own heaven shopping Antique Row.
– Cherry blossoms add to the beauty of Philly.
Though merely a sampling, it’s easy to see that there is no shortage of impressive destinations in Philadelphia. When paired with the incredible people of the city, each location comes alive with it’s own personality and vigor. This city is perfect for those who want even short trips to be full and rich. Incredible and bustling, Philadelphia is so much more than the Liberty Bell.